 General / 33240
Re: 10 Cops found alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 02:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Julie Krenz writes:
In lugnet.general, Chris Maddison writes:
I just heard on the news that 5 NYC Officers and 5 Port Authority Officers
are on the second sublevel of Tower 1, all alive.  But there are structural
stability problems; let's hope they get out OK.  10 survivors pulled out at
once will really boost morale at the site.

ugh. ABC just reported that was a rumor. No survivors were found tonight :(

It's even worse than that.  I heard on NBC's network coverage when I got home a
while ago that the rumor was started by a woman who said she had gotten a cell
phone call from one of the buried victims-- her husband.  Investigation
later revealed there was no call and no husband.  Her lie caused a number of
rescue workers to put themselves in unnecessary danger and take precious time
away from searching for real victims, not to mention the emotional toll of
such a hoax.  She has been arrested for providing false information and
endangering lives.

Maggie C.