 General / 32989
Re: Terrorist Attacks on America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:23:44 GMT

UK airports and military are on full alert.  London Stoock Exchange was
evacuated earlier, along with the Canary Wharf tower.  Tony Blair has given
a short speech of shock, support for the US in eliminating terrorism, and on
security aspects.  Flight paths have all been diverted so as not to overfly
central London, and obviously transatlantic flights have been cancelled and
recalled or diverted.

Yasser Arafat has just condemned the attack, offered assisstance to the US
and closed Israeli airspace to foreign flights for 24 hours.

Now it's evening over here, we're starting to see footage that was edited
out earlier - people falling from the building, and crowds and film crews
being overtaken by dust clouds and just fading to black.  Truly shocking.
People are being interviewed on the streets of Manhattan, an they're all
just stunned by what has happened.  It seems too enormous to sink in.

Discussion is getting heavy too now.  Comments have started on how the
hijacked airliners were internal flights, where security is less than on
international flights - a situation soon to change, no doubt - though it was
suggested that airlines objected to increased security when it was
recommended years ago.  I can see some fallout from this on the way.

Matt - you're doing a good job here - other internet news sources have been
swamped.  My thoughts are with anyone touched by this chaos.  It's chilling
for everyone around the world, but the terror for those involved must be
dreadful.  I also fear for anyone who may be the victim of retaliation.  I
can only hope and pray for calm.

Jason J Railton