 General / 32822
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:42:23 GMT

As far as quality goes, the same things have been said in the past about
manufacturing in Japan, Taiwan and Korea (and probably Singapore, Maylasia,
Thailand and the Philippines). The truth is, if cheap crap is going to be
made, it will be made anywhere in the world - including the US. Quality
goods can also be manufactured anywhere - if the manufacturer controls the
quality and the consumer uses quality as a factor in the purchase decision.

China will clean up its act quicker than anyone can believe when money
starts flowing in and its citizens become more aware of their potential.
Worldwide free trade will bring many "backward" and "underdeveloped"
countries into the present and improve conditions for them. Unfortunately,
however, the unpleasantries of transitional periods cannot be bypassed
(witness the former USSR). And China's transition will have us all quaking.

Now we can listen for the isolationists howling.

Dennis

In lugnet.general, Greg Perry writes:
I experienced two LEGO "firsts" a couple of weeks ago - I visited the local
Zany Brainy store for the first time to check out their LEGO selection and
while there I discovered the first sets that I had seen stamped with the
words I cringe at, "MADE IN CHINA".

Before proceeding, let me say that I am not any kind of strident political
activist or anyone of any particular high morals or principles.  However,
avoiding items that are "MADE IN CHINA" is the one "protest" act that I
actively pursue.  This is mainly due to the proddings of my much-more-aware
wife who's interests are more humanitarian and political.  While I certainly
see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's population to work
under virtual "slave labor" conditions, for me the botton line is that
products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.

[SNIP]