 General / 32577
Re: Thoughts from setting a Lego asle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:00:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shawn Gibson writes:

In the first  four foot section (the best visibility wise) are the Bob the
Builder, Jack Stone and soccar sets. I was surprised that the soccer sets
were staying and in a prime location, then I realized Harry Potter sets
haven't come yet. So I'm thinking Harry Potter will replace the soccer sets
when they come out later this year.

On the bottom of the third section are the new Star Wars sets. In the final
4ft section there's bulk buckets, Duplo, Technic, Dinosours, and Jurssic
Park 3 sets. The only non-2001 one sets left are the soccer ones, while the
new studio sets were clearanced.

(good stuff snipped)

Interesting.  Although you didn't give a ROS for the Star Wars, we'll have to
assume that Star Wars isn't selling as well as it used to, in light of the
theme's shelf-placement obscurity and the failure to restock 2000 sets.

Perhaps more depressing: although the Bob the Builder is selling, the retailer
obviously thinks that that's because it's Bob the Builder, not because it's
Duplo.  Lego should be thinking very hard about its licensing agreements when
the Bob the Builder and the rest of the Duplo are at opposite ends of the Lego
aisle---Bob may move his own product, but apparently the retailer doesn't
expect any spill-over effect into the rest of Duplo.

TWS Garrison