 General / 32438
32437  |  32439
Subject:
Moderately Interesting Set Statistics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:11:27 GMT

I just finished a bout of entering sets into my database, of cataloged sets,
I'm just shy of 350,000 pieces. This was attained with 2210 sets. There are 688
unique sets. The average number of pieces in those 688 unique sets is 154. The
average number of pieces of all 2210 sets is 158 (which is interesting, despite
having a few very small sets in huge quantities, the average is almost the same
either way).

Based on how many sets have been processed, the number of used sets which
aren't represented, and the number of parts lots I've purchased, I'm guessing
my collection is close to 400k parts, with probably about 2500 sets (hmm, what
a guess, that averages 160 pieces per set).

This has been collected over a period of 2 1/2 years. Hopefully my acquisition
rate will be dropping dramatically so I can actually start building and not
spend all my time sorting. Unfortunately, as the collection gets this large,
sorting takes longer since when newly sorted parts are added to the storage
system, there is generally a cascade of overflowing of a single part into a
larger bag or compartment, and then the bags of a certain type overflow their
bin, then I need to find room for a new bin...

Frank