 General / 32437
Re: Something interesting in the mech world...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 02:51:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.build.mecha, Frank Filz writes:
Bryce McGlone wrote:

Personally I don't want Lego making anything mecha.

Sort of too late... True, LOM isn't really a mecha theme, but
Roboraiders was. Also true these aren't licensed themes.
Well, Frank, many folks will fight you on using Roboraiders as a definition of
Lego mecha... for the most part they weren't very well designed and the
articulation was terrible.

I never claimed they are a pinacle of achievement (well, maybe they are, just a
rather low pinacle). The LOM mecha are pretty decent though.

I want a genre that is
untouched by their "master builders". A place where I can still build what • I
want and NOT have it compared to Legoland or some store display. Also (and • I
know I'm in the minority here) don't really care what sets Lego releases.
They can be crap or good; they can have this piece in such and such color • or
that color. I really don't care. I'll just keep buying whatever I find
interesting and using however choose.

Lastly IMO the mech buiders here have made mecha models that Lego couldn't
touch. I'd be a shame to see them take away some of the glory of those
models with inferior "official" sets. Case in point the Millenium Falcon.
That said I'd LOVE to have a Rick Hunter minifig!!!

If we take that reasoning to extreme, then we should hate LEGO for
making any sets which build models at all.

Then let's not take that reasoning to the extreme. Bryce is a builder who will
use whatever Lego puts out...period. I'm still awaiting the dreaded Duplo • mecha
from him.

I always find it usefull to take reasonings to their extremes. If they still
hold up in the extremes, then they're probably very good reasonings. If they
fail, you need to look at why they fail, and decide whether they are still
useful (for example, Newtonion Physics is extremely usefull even though e=mv^2
fails when v approaches c, at which point Einsteinian Physics becomes
necessary).

I've got an opposite take though. LEGO's Millenium Falcon in no way
diminishes the accomplishments of the several very good MF models. What
it does do is put a model with a decent semblance of the MF into the
hands of kids at a reasonable price point. We keep complaining that
LEGO's sets aren't as good as our MOCs which have been made with many
many more pieces, and which would cost a small fortune (Larry - just out
of curiosity, how many pieces is your PCC? How much would it cost if it
was a LEGO set at 10 cents a brick plus motor and train wheels
markups?).

I don't disagree with this reasoning, but to prevent older builders from
acquiring the parts they feel they need to build their Millenium Falcons at a
reasonable cost is just insane. I'd love to build a Falcon. Why don't I? I • can't
afford it given Lego's current bulk selection and pricing policy. A 2000 piece
Millenium Falcon shouldn't have to cost $2000 or even a quarter of that.

Well, the cost of a 2000 piece MOC will depend very much how you purchase the
pieces, and what you do with the pieces from sets you need to buy from which
you only use a fraction of the pieces.

However, we will probably NEVER see TLC offer every piece in every color in
quantity 1 for and average of 10 cents a piece. They can't do it economically.
They can't even offer a bulk pack of every piece economically. This does mean
that certain MOC ideas will cost much more than 10 cents a piece assuming the
pieces are available at all.

What we can hope for and ask for is a larger bulk selection. We can also
continue to hope and ask for true bulk (quantity 1000 or more of a single
part at a much reduced price over the quantity 50-100 price). If we ever see
true bulk, it will either be only for a very limited set of parts, or could be
somewhat opportunistic (ok, the line is about to do a run of part X in green,
how many orders for 1000 do we have?).

Yep, great parts, those quarter saucers. I'd love to get more of the bottom
sections, myself. Now if we can just get them in black, red, and dark grey....

I certainly would agree more of the bottoms would be good. I'm not sure how
many colors we really want though.

Frank