 General / 32399
Re: new lego sets? are they crazy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Parker writes:
In lugnet.general, Jim Green writes:
<original snipped>

more snippage

All in all, I think Lego is doing a great job. I'm still addicted, aren't you?
:)

Jim

Oh, I'm still addicted to Lego, but it's the older sets that I'm buying from
sources such as Ebay and Brickbay.  The secondary market is the ONLY game in
town as far as I'm concerned for the purchase of good Space and Town sets.
I rarely buy any new Lego sets anymore.  Since the old discontinued sets
that I buy are on the secondary market, TLC doesn't get as much of my money
as they used to.  I will be buying one of each of the retro sets like the
much anticipated Metroliner and Club Car re-release (when they come out).
This is because the price is so much cheaper than the secondary market.

In other words, TLC will get more of my money only when they sell re-issues
and when (and if) they produce better themes of the same quality as they did
before ~1995 or so.

- Bob

I very much agree with what you've said.  I'm buying quite a bit from LD, but
the rest of my purchases are now pretty much exclusively on the secondary
market.  IMO, the only retail theme that's worth the money is Star Wars, and
though I'm a big fan of SW, I'm more of a Castle builder.  True, SW has lots of
great parts for Castle (peasant torsos, in particular), but I'm also left with
an overwhelming amount parts that I either I don't want or don't need, but that
aren't much in demand on the secondary market because *everybody* has more Mos
Espas that they can shake a stick at already.  I'm not ranting, just saying that
I probably won't buy all the future SW sets.

james