 General / 32347
Re: Navy Destroyer MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:21:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Harvey Henkelman writes:
In lugnet.general, Marc Cook writes:
I have seen maybe two or three Navy MOC's.  A few submarines,
and even a couple of modern navy aircraft carriers but practically zero
Frigates or Destroyers.  After searching long and hard on Lugnet and
Brickshelf I determined it was time to create a MOC of a modern naval
destroyer/frigate.

Well it's done.  It's a hybrid cruise missile, nuclear powered
destroyer/frigate, MOC, scale to minifig but not quite as big as
a true scale minifig MOC might be.  Come on now, I only
have so many pieces...

Specs:

3 completely fitted enclosed decks (that sit on each other and are
easily lifted up to allow viewing access):

Deck 1 - Hull
Contains 12 bunks, galley, kitchen, sick bay, engine room (housing a
nuclear reactor, weapons storage, general storage, head and shower.

Deck 2 - Main Deck - exterior
2 .50 cal machine guns, SAM/Cruise missile launcher, 2 mounted torpedo
launchers with torpedoes, 70mm enclosed cannon turret, helicopter pad, 2
depth charge launchers

Deck 2 - Main Deck - interior
Ready/Briefing/Conference room, Officer Quarters ( 6 bunks ), 4 extra
bunks (SEAL Team or visitor use)

Deck 3 - Bridge / CIC
3 station bridge (Navigation, Captain, Helmsman)
4 station CIC (Communication, Tactical, Weapons,
and Sonar/Radar operator)

Berthing for 18 permanent crew, 4 temporary for 22 total.

For you X-Navy or Navy buffs this is not a model that represents a
replica of an existing or decommission ship.  I've never been in the Navy
so perhaps my terminology is off and it's probably true that a Destroyer
or Frigate will never house it's own nuclear reactor, but that's the
beauty of lego's right?  The ability to replicate the impossible, and
for virtually no cost.  Call it a concept nuclear, coast guard cutter
sized cruise missile destroyer.

It's about 2 feet tall and about 3 feet long, and almost 1 foot
in the widest spot of the hull.  Colored in light gray, with black
and dark gray trim.

Great you say, but where are the pictures?  I'm shooting it
tonight digitally and should have pictures available by
tomorrow.

If you know of any sites containing any other naval MOC's
WWI or newer) please respond with links.
Not enough of them out there...

Some of my other Naval models:
http://www.netpresonic.com/lego

- Marc

[ Navy, USN, Frigate, Destroyer, USS, Ship, DDG, DD, FF, FFG, Military, Naval ]

Thanks for the comments.

Good job Marc, you know I was stationed on a DDG based in Japan for three
years (USS Curtis Wilbur DDG54) and your command of Naval terminology is
quite good. We call these types of ships "puddle-jumpers", but thats a whole
lot of firepower crammed into that small hull. May I offer some suggestions?

1. Mount the torpedo launchers on the main deck if theres room.

I may do this on a revision of the ship that will make it about 8 pegs
wider from port to starboard.

2. A ship of your type would mount an older tomahawk box launcher instead of
the VLS (Vertical Launch System)

Nice!... Do you have a link to pictures of the box launcher?

3. Where's the point defense? Mount at least one CIWS (Close-In Weapon
System)facing either forward or aft.

Actually there are two .50 cal machine gun units -- one facing aft
and the other forward.  They are there, but built in black bricks
thus difficult to see in the selected photo's I have.

4. I know that you installed nuclear propulsion, the US Navy however uses
gas-turbines in their small combatants. Nuclear power is reserved for
carriers and submarines.

I actually knew this, but decided to install one anyway.  After all
this is a prototype ship right?  =)

I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice...-Harvey

No, thank you very much.   I appreciate this.  I going to probably
rebuild the hull to be longer by about 30-40 pegs and 8 pegs wider.

I look forward to your comments on the interior....

- Marc