 General / 30605
Re: Feedback and the role it plays in the modeling process (was Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 14:32:42 GMT

Anders Isaksson wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet
I admit I am one of the people that comments on the work of regulars
(in my genres of interest anyway... for instance I always have
something to say when James Mathis posts a new model) but sometimes
overlooks the newcomers and their work.

I certainly need to work harder at giving feedback to newcomers. One
thing I strongly recommend for everyone is to make as much attempt as
possible to get together face-to-face. You're guaranteed to get some
feedback then (but of course you will still get overshadowed by the guy
who brings the huge intricate MOC). Perhaps we could all make some
effort to comment on designs of people we don't comment about very
often.

I'd say that Lugnet may be perceived as a quite 'close' community (or
communities - your 'regulars' of course doesn't include all regular posters,
but those you choose too react to), with quite a high threshold for a
newcomer/outsider.

As I haven't participated in any other communities on the net, only normal
usenet newsgroups, I don't know if this is the normal thing, netwise, but
judging from my experience IRL, it's human nature at play here: We all want to
feel part of 'something', especially a (more or less) central part. 'Patting
each others backs' is quite essential in keeping a group together - as we
can't pick fleas from each other like the other monkeys do.

This means, when a group gets too large. too many feel 'outside' of the
center, sub-groups begin to appear, and in the end the big group will fall
apart...

This closeness is true of any organization, and is especially true of
any organization of "off the wall interests". The place I see it most
often is at my church and our retreats (in fact, at the last retreat, a
newcomer called me on the fact that we put so much emphasis in the
welcoming ceremonies on the number of past retreats folks had been two,
I have resolved that next year I will just ask people to identify if
they are a first timer or a repeat customer).

I think there is an advantage of on-line communities though for folks to
break in. If you look at several of the "big posters", you will find
that they did not get in on the ground floor (I'm especially thinking of
Shiri here, but there are others). Others are still "big posters" but
don't dominate the discussion so much as they used to (Larry is an
example).

Frank