 General / 30590
30589  |  30591
Subject:
Feedback and the role it plays in the modeling process (was Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 14:33:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tobias Möller writes:
In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss writes:

See, now thats a shame. Do you need others to pat you on the back?

Well, yes, I do.

I think you raise a good point here. Some people need egoboo more than others.

But the problem is that you shouldn't count on getting it... that's easy to
say but hard to live. I can say, "look, do your models for your own sake and
enjoyment, post them if you feel like it, be happy with what feedback you
get and don't sweat it if you don't"

That's easy for ME to say because I'm one of those people with a big enough
ego that I don't need the egoboo of anyone else telling me my work is good.
I already know it is awesome. LOL. But seriously, it is true that different
people need different levels of feedback.

So this is kind of a group dynamics problem. If we "forced" everyone to post
something about each model they saw it would be a lot of clutter and the
feedback would be forced, and thus valueless. Very lame. But if we don't all
do a good job of at least trying to comment on *some* models, we are going
to have some modelers (who need some positive reinforcement) who take their
light back under that bushel basket.

And that would be a shame.

Further, how can modelers get better if not by hearing from their peers on
ways to improve?

I dunno what to do about it. I admit I am one of the people that comments on
the work of regulars (in my genres of interest anyway... for instance I
always have something to say when James Mathis posts a new model) but
sometimes overlooks the newcomers and their work.

++Lar