 General / 30417
Re: Extremely expensive 1x1 round bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 23:23:12 GMT

Good Answer Clark!!!

These 1x1 round bricks with Esso labels are NOT the same as those shown in the
Ultimate Lego Book.  The ULB picture shows a 1:43 scale truck, one of many that
Lego sold in the 1950's, but they were larger than the 1:87 cars and trucks
that went with the Town Plan system (1955-68).  So the larger oil can shown was
not a regular Lego brick.

I have 3 of these little Esso Oil Cans (all red and MINT), so when I saw the
price... :-) .   I got these from a Danish gentleman, along with an old style
Esso Pumps (with the older 1950's clock type dials on the face of the pumps)
and an Esso tall sign (same style as in the 60's).  This is what makes me think
that these came in a 1955-57 Danish Esso parts pack - #231, or possibly #1231
(the earlier Danish parts packs were 4 digits starting with a "1").  I do not
think that these were sold outside of Denmark.  The reason is that these were
unknown to several of my German classic Lego collectors.

So when you come to think of it, wow nearly $75 for each 1x1 round brick.  That
would probably put these at the top of the rare parts list of Lego parts.

Gary Istok