 General / 30169
Re: A new area of LEGO.com: the Build section
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 04:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:
It is refreshing to read candid (i.e. not press release) posts from
LEGO employees.  Try not to make it so painful for them. • lol, its too late for that ;)

I share your viewpoint, to a large extent.  Question:  Are you suggesting
that it is wrong to post a follow-up asking whether a particular portion of
a post was an official statement or a personal statement??

I was curious about it too, I saw your question, heck I saw it coming.

I would love to see TLC officially recognize juniorization as an issue for
some people.  But as you illustrate, it prolly just ain't gonna happen.

I agree. Its like when a company comes out with a 'new and improved'
product, they never say the old one was inferior, but if it was not, why
come out with a improved version?

Now, since Tomas's announcement was posted in a very official manner
(official title in sig, official lego.com email address, posted in a group
specifically created for official TLC announcements, and it announced new
features on the official website bullet by bullet), it begged the question.

I think even if he posted it under his personal, somebody would have gone
down this very same path, I think he was in a no-win spot, but he recovered
nicley, lol.

I don't think I should be sorry at all that I asked --

Neither do I, it was a valid question seing where it was put.

and I'm grateful that Tomas took a few moments to clarify what he meant.

Who cares if juniorizaion is an "official" issue?

Well, I care! -- at least to the extent that, if I knew they were
acknowledging it and maybe trying to cut down on it, I could hold out hope
for better product lines in the future.

I do not think they need to cut down on it to come out with more "complete"
sets, look at the star wars sets, those were amazing in detail, and
"solidness". I like the jr style sets, for parts that is! Take the shell
mini-sets and the new race sets (not the ones that crash into the wall, but
the ones with the shark and green lady sets), those are horrible sets, as a
set - but for under $2 I can get a minifig, and a few custom parts? Sounds
good to me! I got tons of the shell mini-sets, as well as the race sets - I
love them (for their parts).

Thank God for LEGO Direct and the promise of mass customization.  It will
save the company.

Everyone, including LEGO
knows what it is, why they did it, who told them to do it and what effect
it has had on sales and brand image.

Why would you expect them to want to admit/discuss that "officially"?

Heh, well, I certainly wouldn't *expect* them to.  It's worth asking about,
of course, especially when the word is used in an official post.  I sure
wouldda been pretty surprised (pleasantly) if the answer had been yes, but
that doesn't mean I'd assume no -- certainly not with all the great strides
that LEGO Direct has made and is continuing to pave the way for.

Ya, it would never happen, but it would be nice.

<snip>
--Todd

Mark P
mfuss903@aol.com