 General / 29827
  Re: Lego copyrights native language

(...) I had been under the impression (as in just assumed) that LEGO made up cool-sounding names from scratch. Is this report saying that LEGO took actual words from a language of an indigenous tribe in New Zealand and isn't giving credit where (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

  Re: Lego copyrights native language

Since Todd brought this back up, I'd been meaning to look into this myself...and have. Interestingly enough, looking at the box and tube from my Tahu/Vakama set from S@H, every catalog/mini catalog I have, the Bionicle and LEGO web sites and LEGO (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message news:3ae4c155.227241...net.com... (...) if (...) them. (...) If you run the various names of people and places from Bionical through a search engine you will see they come up with lots of hits, (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

  Re: Lego copyrights native language

(...) As you would expect. Let's just say indigenous people may view this sort of thing as a bit more important than non-indigenous people would. Like Todd, I thought Lego had thought these names up, even though they sounded Polynesian. Is the Lego (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

"pete white" <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:GCAz19.F4r@lugnet.com... (...) minifig (...) using (...) I though it was exactly the comparison Didnt this thread start in relationship to Maoris complaining that Lego had trademarked (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

  Re: Lego copyrights native language

(...) I used to know a guy whose last name is Lego. Maybe I should call and warn him. Dave! (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz)

  Re: Lego copyrights native language

(...) So it's ok for a Danish company to use an English name but not a Maori one? Note that it was pointed out that TLC did not copyright or trademark the names (and even if they were trademarked, a trademark is in relation to a specific product (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nz, lugnet.off-topic.debate)