 General / 29750
Re: blue tub 3033
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, writes:
Is there any known internetshop that does ship the blue tub (3033) overseas
(yes, Europe)?
Anyone?

Saskia

Saskia

I have looked into this long and hard <
http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=3068 > .  Nobody as yet has given me any
evidence to suggest that they have _ever_ been available in the Europe - or
rather, the European Union [an Economic Free Trade Area, similar to the
USA/Canadian/Mexican NAFTA], which excludes Switzerland - see below for why
this is important!

Amazon.com do not ship it - I have looked at their site, and it specifically
says that it only ships within the USA. And nor do Toys R Us (TRU) ship -
not surprising, because TRU is the company that supplies Amazon's toys.

That leaves the option of contacting a friendly American, and getting them
to ship it to you.  Again, I have explored this option.

3033 can cost as little as $15. And shipping it overland will cost $25 - and
take 4 to 6 weeks (and that's by throwing away the tub to reduce the size
and weight!!) Total - at least $40.  But shipping two will cost $28 shipping
- just $3 more.  Total - $58.

Shipping increases the cost dramatically, but it is STILL cheaper than
buying "Bulk" bricks from Lego Shop@Home!  Yes, that's right - it is cheaper
to buy 1,200 new bricks from the States, than it is to buy them from a local
shop in Europe . . .

But where are these tubs made? Peter White writes <
http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=3076 > "The Blue Tub sells for AU$69
(US$35) and is only available at Kmart. The BTs are labelled as manufactured
in Switzerland."

So, they come FROM Switzerland, and go TO the USA.  Or Australia.  But not
the Netherlands (or even Germany, which is on Switzerland's doorstep!!).

So, what do we do?  Do we arrange to ship them over to Europe?  I say "no" -
that is not a long-term solution.

What _I_ have done is the following:

1.  Written to Lego UK, and ask them to include it in their range.
2.  Written to two large UK High street retailers in the UK and suggested
that THEY include it in their range, and giving them details of where to
find it. One has already replied to show an interest hardly surprising given
how inexpensive it is, and how pouplar it will be in the UK!
3.  I am writing to Lego Switzerland and Lego USA to ask if THEY would be
willing to ship it over to the UK, so that I can pass it on to the shops
that have shown an interest.
4.  And finally, I could write to my Country's Department of Trade, and
complain about the fact that it is not available.

I suggest that others do the same - here are the Lego addresses <
http://www.lego.com/info/addresses/ >  When I asked Lego UK why 3033 was not
available here, I was told that there was no demand for it, because European
Lego buyers preferred the Lego "kits". But if enough people write and ask
for set 3033, then maybe they will realise that there is a demand, and
introuduce it here.

And perhaps people in Germany can wrie to WalMart, and explain that WalMart
stock 3033 in the USA.

Interestingly, us European AFOLs only need to get it into ONE European
country - once that happens, European trade law says it must be made
available everywhere in Europe.

Remember, they are made in Swizerland, and they have to pass through Europe
to get to the USA and Austrlia, and WE can't even buy them!  If that makes
you cross, write a letter to Lego today!

Robert