 General / 29223
29222  |  29224
Subject:
Racers aren't so bad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:22:32 GMT

I was at King Soopers today and while looking at the DUPLO Eggs (which, BTW,
are one of the coolest LEGO products) in the Easter aisle, I noticed the
Racers display.  It only had one box of Racers left on it.  I wasn't
interested in the Racers, but figured the display would be nice to store
LEGO stuff in.

I figured King Soopers would be willing to part with the display if there
weren't any Racers left, so I took the box of Racers off and sat them on a
different shelf.  I then persuaded my girlfriend to ask someone if we could
have it, and they happily said yes.  The display works really well for
storage and the nice thing is, it doesn't say Racers on it, just LEGO.
There was a top piece that had Racers stuff printed on it, but I used it to
help reinforce the inside of the display.  The display itself is a little
over a foot wide and has four shelves.  It is currently housing piles of
DUPLO and some boxes in what we lovingly refer to as our "junk room."

Anyway, enough about the display.  While finishing my shopping, I thought,
"what the heck," and went back and picked up the Racers.  Here are my
reactions:

First of all, the Racers are WAY smaller than I would have ever guessed.
From the commercials I've seen and the size of the box, I figured it would
be like 3 times the size it turned out to be.  This was actually a pleasant
surprise, because the Racer figures don't seem so much like the Jello molds
I had been thinking of them as.  In fact, I think they would work well with
the Adventurers them as jungle idols.

The box says 8 pieces, but I think of it more as 4.  The only real pieces
are the Racer figure, the engine piece, the tailfin piece, and the car
chassis.  The three pieces that sit on the chassis are all 2x2.  The engine
looks like it would work well for other things, especially in a Space
setting.  As I mentioned before, the Racer figure would work well with
Adventurers.  The tail fin would require more creativity, but I'm sure there
are plenty of uses.

Overall, I think I like the Racers.  I don't intend to buy them all (my
money situation requires me to be more selective), but I don't think they
deserve all the bad press they've been getting on LUGNET.  I challenge
everyone to buy at least one Racer and see what they think.

Anyway, I'm very tired and rambling and need to go to bed.

Bryan Beckwith