 General / 29200
Re: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:18:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Beckwith writes:
LEGO hasn't always been known for building blocks.  IIRC the Ultimate LEGO
Book says one of TLC's most successful product launches was a plastic
tractor.  TLC also (originally) made lots of wooden toys.  I can only
imagine that when the message was running in 1981, they were planning on
developing other types of toys or at least wanted to have the option.

Imagine how difficult it would be for TLC to release something unrelated to
bricks.  If they were to release something like a Furby (just an example),
we would be perplexed as to how it worked with our LEGOs, er, LEGO bricks.
After all, if it had the LEGO logo on it, we would assume it was part of the
system of LEGO bricks.

Bryan Beckwith

But why would the LEGO company want to release anything other than plastic
building bricks? It's what they're good at. They have nothing like the • same
expertise in other product lines, which would surely distract company and
consumer focus from their profitable and world-renowned "LEGO bricks". • Right?
What would be the point of a clothing and accessories range, for instance? • Or
bastardising an educational product like LEGO Technic into collectible • action
figures with collectible gimmicks?

</remove tongue from cheek>
--DaveL

Well.. there is a LEGO line of china/collectible mugs... I run into it all
the time when I do a search on eBay for LEGO. They're sprinkled in between
all of the "real" hits for LEGO Building Bricks (there! I did it! <G>).

I don't know if said mugs/china stuff is actually associated with TLG in any
way, but I know that it's been around a while... perhaps this is a reason
for their wish to attempt to differentiate - LEGO Building Bricks.. vs LEGO
china/collectible mugs...

Just random thoughts.

Joel J