 General / 28689
28688  |  28690
Subject:
Lego lights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:00:29 GMT

When I was a little kid I got a kit for adding electric lights to my
creations.  It consisted of two little yellow 2x2 bricks with a 4.5VDC
light bulb shining out the front, and the old 4.5V type of electrical
connector on the back.

I got tired of running through "C" batteries on my battery pack so I
had the brilliant idea that I could just plug them into the wall.
Trouble is, I didn't know that 110VAC was not good for 4.5VDC bulbs.
Remember, I was just a kid at the time.  Fortunately the only casualty
was the bulbs (but they sure shone *bright* for a brief while!).

Anyway, I still have the bulbs.  Has anyone managed to replace the
bulbs in those units?  I am not an expert with a soldering iron, but I
think I could do it.  I could probably find some new bulbs (I might
try to upgrade it to 9V, and splice a 9V electric brick onto the
cable).  But if someone's tried this before, maybe there are some tips
I might like to hear before risking some vintage LEGO on the
experiment.

* How to get the bricks open?
* Suggestions for vendors for the bulbs?
* Tips on not melting the plastic when soldering?
* Anything else?

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx