 General / 2836
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 05:26:54 GMT

At 12:01 AM 2/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
Justin Kopp writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:

Jeroen Ottens writes:
Hi everybody,

It seems I have forgotten one point on the list:
- AFOL's spend their money on auctions instead of TLG products.

But not entirely. Some AFOL's might participate in auctions to be theme
complete, but others also do it for the parts. Some parts are no longer
available at all or in the color I want.

Another reason is the one that gets me into and acution.  Auctions are
the only way I can buy that Alpha-1 Rocket Base that was discontinued
when I *started* collecting, but Saw in my Catalogs and wanted...or even
to get, say the old shell Station, which I had always wanted but could
never afford in the 3rd grade.  I go into auctions only to get sets I
wanted as a kid and still would like to have (thankfully I have gotten
both of those)  If I could be Town complete...sheesh, that would kick
butt!! (even if it were only pre-92 complete..)

--Justin

Yes, this is what I was trying to get at in my request for rereleasing old
sets. Because some of us, although fans for years, if not decades, *still*
missed some of the sets we really wanted. This is not living in the past, • this
is simply wanting to be complete.

But I've thought of another solution. Someone quoted Henry Ford saying, "I
would give away cars for free, if I had a monopoly on replacement parts."
Well, instead of rereleasing old sets, Lego Group could simply make the • special
pieces/minifigs/etc. replacement parts and allow us to buy whatever • replacement
parts we might need to be able to at least build a certain set. We wouldn't
have a pretty box or instructions, but if you honestly just want to build an
old set, then you don't need the box, and you can prob'ly find the • instructions
at the scanned instructions site.

That's all I want. I still support Lego with my money, but not all of my
lego purchases actually go back to Lego Group. I'm doing the auctions • because I
can't get the right replacement parts from Lego Group.

Thanks

I believe that passage best reflects the attitude of many AFOL's. I could
certainly live with those conditions because I could have access to parts
that have been discontinued. I hope that Jeroen Ottens first foray into the
Lugnut swimming pool did not scare him out of the water, I hope we will
make him feel welcome and provide incentive for him to come back. And bring
others. I believe if only one executive listened to us and provided this
service, they could well expect a hefty pay raise or promotion because of
increased revenue.

I believe I can also speak for the many AFOL's who now make more money than
they did while in college and to ignore such a potent income source would
be a mistake. I can only lurk in the auctions to hopefully find sets I
could not afford ten years ago and that is money going to fellow AFOL that
could have gone to Lego Corp. if the parts were available through Shop at
Home.

I cannot accept that Lego could not afford to provide a bulk and
specialized parts service for us because Lego already uses the direct
channel marketing method that many of the major computer manufacturers use
daily. In fact, I ordered sets from S&H years before I ordered my computer
through direct channel marketing. I am well aware that when S&H sells a set
that the profit margin is significantly greatly than when S&H sells the
same set to a distributor. All of necessary Lego capital expeditures, the
personnel, the ordering and distribution systems have been made to provide
the Lego S&H service and it seems a parts service could be seemlessy
integrated into the system.

Jeroen thank you for your effort.

And Jeroen, I hope you will continue to monitor and reply to the newsgroup.
The only suggestion I have for you is to ask to set up general chat forum
that would allow everyone a chance to have a dialog with your superiors.