 General / 2782
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:05:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, ottens@get2net.dk (Jeroen Ottens) writes:
Maybe I don't have to add the fifth point at all. It seems to me that if
Lego would provide a bulk piece ordering service, acknowledge (and react
to) the adult community and increase the set design level,  AFOL's would
spend their money on Lego products in the store more.

That is probably the case, yes, so long as increasing the set design level
meant producing things that adults actually take a widespread liking to.
Designing sets that adults enjoy doesn't necessarily mean designing things
specifically for adults, since gems like Forestmen and the original Blacktron
were presumably designed for kids but appealed widely to adults.

I'm not positive about this, but I suspect that Model Team sets (targeted at an
older age range) probably have less appeal to adults than Blacktron and
Forestmen.  I think it's a really subtle distinction, and you'd need to solicit
more detailed feedback.

BTW, one thing that would probably make a notable difference -- and it's right
in your area of focus :) -- is putting a general Universal TECHNIC set back in
stores...something with a good variety of gears and beams and things like that.
A lot of hardcore adult TECHNIC fans noticed in horror a couple months ago that
there was apparently no universal TECHNIC set for 1999.  I'm sure if you asked,
you could get some interesting and useful opinions/perspectives on what types
of elements would be most desired in a universal set.

As mentioned in some other thread I think: I am working at home because it
took me some time to connect to lugnet and i didn't want to do that again
at Lego (I don't know about firewalls, security etc.).

You were lucky.  :)  The only problem you had was a mismatch in what your
newsreader was sending and what you told the server that your newsreader would
be sending.  That is, you had entered "Ottens Jeroen" instead of "Jeroen
Ottens."

With regard to firewalls, anyone who can receive Internet e-mail can get the
groups through the News-by-Mail gateway at any e-mail address under their
control, although they may not be able to connect directly to the server via
NNTP due to a firewall.  But since the groups are also available via the HTTP
(web) interface, any workstation you happen to pass by which is Internet-
connected and has a web browser can get you here too without any security
problems.  I would imagine there must be quite a few people in the D. Group who
could get through OK.

--Todd