 General / 27620
Re: Relative and Absolute Measurement of the Lego Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:54:27 GMT

Jim Hughes wrote:
Lego, in a 1998 Canadian trademark defense case (1)
suggest that several Canadian patents(2-4) show a retationship between the
stud height,
stud diameter and stud pitch of approximately 2:5:8. Adjusting all of these
relative dimensions to the same scale gives:

     brick height = 6
     plate height = 2
     stud pitch = 5
     stud diameter = 3.125
     stud height = 1.25

The stud diameter above doesn't seem to match reality. That would imply
that the space between two studs is 1.75 units, which is significantly
different from the apparent measurement of 2 (recall that you can stand
a plate on edge between two studs). The stud height is definitely higher
than the distance between the stud and the edge of a brick or plate
(which I generally take to be 1 since the space between two studs is 2,
but note that the edge distance will be ever so slightly less) since if
you stand the plate up so it's studs line up with the studs on the
brick, the plate doesn't seat very well. This is also what caused a
problem when Karim showed a possible way to mount a tile flush with a
wall (see my response to Karim in this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=4788

for discussion - unfortunately the diagram is not posted on the web). I
think 1.25 is too large though for the height of a stud (though that may
have changed).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com