 General / 27598
27597  |  27599
Subject:
Presenting....the MaxiMog!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:50:00 GMT

In the New York Times today there is an article on a vehicle designed by
Bran Ferren and included in a show at the MoMA in New York. The MaxiMog is
an SUV that has astounding capabilities. I quote:

With his 12-foot high MaxiMog, Mr. Ferren, 48, stands as equipped as any
explorer this side of NASA to venture into uncharted terrain. In terms of
sheer brute prowess, this off- road vehicle is as macho as they come: it can
pull its trailer up a 45-degree grade by engaging a high-performance drive
system that powers all eight wheels. It can climb over three- foot boulders
and traverse streams six feet deep; it can survey terrain for miles around
by deploying a four-foot remote- controlled electric reconnaissance plane
that sends back images, and whenever Mr. Ferren wants to check in with
scientists or friends around the world, he can switch on a two- way
video-conferencing system beamed up from the MaxiMog's own 50-foot pneumatic
mast. Every contingency — power, communications, navigation, medical
support, hydraulics, climate control, safety — has been met with
state-of-the-art technology (there are heated and cooled drink holders next
to the driver's seat and 1,900 lights).

The vehicle immediately put me in mind f the HumVee Bram Lambrecht has been
tooling around with lately. I think it could be marvelously duplicated in
minifigure or moidel team scale.

There is a photogallery here:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/photos/20010208chee-pix.1.html

And the main article is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/08/living/08CHEE.html?pagewanted=2

You may have to sign up for the online Times but that is quick, painless and
no-spam.

There is a site for the MoMA exhibition at:

http://www.moma.org/workspheres/

Any thoughts or feedback?

Jonathan