 General / 2745
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:28:06 GMT

Jeroen Ottens writes:
<Snip!>
Rerealese of old sets. I my opinion that is a setback. It would be better
to increase the appeal of new sets, than to rerelease old sets, but maybe
collectors don't agree with me on that one.

I'm not a collector, but I buy older sets because of the fantastic models they
have, especially compared to much of the current line.  Re-release of older
sets is not as big on our lists as new sets with the same quality as the '80s
line-up.  I would be willing to bet that if you took a copy of 6390 Main Street
and a copy of 6464 Super Rescue Complex to a toy store and conducted a survey
as to which set people would prefer to purchase for themselves or their
children, the results would be overwhelmingly for 6390 Main Street.  They are
about the same size, and, adjusted for inflation, they both cost about the
same.  The difference is that Main Street has larger and sturdier buildings,
almost twice the piece count (more regular bricks than specialized pieces), and
considerably more quality in the buildings and vehicles.  In my (and, I
believe, most other AFOL) opinion, sets like Main Street are what is needed to
increase TLG profits, as these sets will captivate children's imaginations for
a much longer time than the current Town sets.  For example, 6464 says it is
for ages 5-12.  An eight year old would look at it and say 'That is too
childish, I want something that is more challenging to add to my town.'  Sets
like Main Street that were for ages 8-12 fit this mindset perfectly, and
younger kids get supreme satisfaction and improved self-confidence (and isn't
that what Lego is all about?) for finishing something targeted for older kids.

Just my .02 Indian-head pennies worth.  ;)

Jeff