 General / 27338
Re: The Quality Downfall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:35:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Majewski writes:
I really don't care any more.

For starters, the whole thing was too short and WAY too polite.  C'mon, spew
some venom, Man!

I am of two minds on the issue of whether I care or not.  On the one hand,
TLC continues to make pathetically stupid choices about their product line
-- so to that extent, I don't care if everything just goes "boom" in their
corporate face.

On the other hand, there is no substitute for new bricks out of an MISB
package and I do care about brick condition.  Having been burned recently on
some eBay purchases, and even on some few items from fellow Lugnuts (well
meaning though they may be!), all I can say is that one person's
interpretation of the phrase "in good played with condition" is not anothers
-- I guess I have higher than usual standards for brick condition, but some
people seem to be clueless.  If I had to rely solely on used bricks to
continue building up my collection, I'd probably pitch it and sell the
collection on eBay. If the element has to be gouged, cracked, or otherwise
damaged, let it be out of the bags new so I can complain to TLC's consumer
affairs service and get new replacements for them.

On the third hand, I recently decided that I am just not going to stupidly
buy endless numbers of the same sets to acquire certain elements.  Time
constrained as I am, and because I am just too lazy to part out the
remainder of the elements to make such purchases worth my while, I have
decided to just not do it (with one big exception coming up as soon as BOGO
50% hits the studios sets!).  Plus, if the bulk sales system made an sense
whatever, I wouldn't have to go to this kind of trouble to acquire many of
these desired elements.

So the question remains vexed -- and I see it as largely up to TLC to
produce the answer by way of their actions in the very near future.  Do I
care?  Hmmm...

The minute you start asking yourself why you bother to spend time playing
with such an elements limited and costly medium as Lego bricks -- well, it
just starts to make very little sense in the end...

...maybe this is why even TLC is surprised about the existence of AFOLs?

-- Richard