 General / 2726
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:20:38 GMT

Jeroen Ottens writes:
Lego develops for kids, not for adults. Kids have developed as well through
the years. Old sets simply don't sell.
Don't forget, almost every single AFOL is a fan because they played with Lego
when they were a kid. The stunning success of Mindstorms suggests that Lego
aimed at adults (unintentionally in this case) will be very successful. Adults
need to play just as much as kids do, most PCs, gadget filled cars, consumer
electronics etc. are little more than expensive toys. However AFOLs recognize
that there is actually nothing wrong with playing with real toys.

If you ask for better sets, you ask
for bigger sets with smaller (unprinted) bricks for yourself. My question
is: Does Model Team fill that need (if only partial)? I mean is that a good
direction?
This question is more for my own curiousity and understanding, I can't
promised feedback from the Model Team team (see above).
Model Team is a good direction, I like MT, but it is heavily biased towards
vehicles, especially large scale trucks. Why not apply the same concept of
realism and complexity to other subjects, like minifig scale buildings, trains
[1], and lifesize machines (e.g. a working clock).

Rerealese of old sets. I my opinion that is a setback. It would be better
to increase the appeal of new sets, than to rerelease old sets, but maybe
collectors don't agree with me on that one.
I agree with you, I don't see the point of rereleasing old sets. I'd rather
see continual improvement.

Matt

[1] The earlier 9V trains like 4551, 4563, 4558, etc. were basically what I'm
referring to, but more recent sets have got more unrealistic.