 General / 27158
Re: Why do you build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:16:49 GMT

Kirby,

You remind me of me. Like you, I am not an expert of any singular sci-fi
series or "universe", but pressed into a corner for a choice I would mutter
"Star Wars" just to let myself out. But I am a definite "space-head".

I too was a squid of the "Haze Gray Underway" club, but I was in Reagan's
navy, 1987 - 1988, which then became George Sr.'s Navy. I got out in 1989
(medical). Didn't quite make Desert Storm.

I got back into LEGO because I never really came to terms with the claim my
folks made when I was 15, "You're too old for LEGO now." They backed that
claim by making me package it up and putting it in the attic. Later, I was
forced to temporarily "lend" it to my sister's stepson. I was lucky to get
the collection back at all, despite the loss of some irreplacable pieces. I
spent the last two years on Ebay and other sites replacing whole sets I had
loved and acquiring others. I am currently 33 years of age, working for a
high-tech company, seeing a really cool gal and never once do I think I am
not "acting my age".

I build because I have ideas that can probably be translated to reality by
more conventional methods over time, but at the moment can only be realized
through LEGO. But I guess I really build because the journey which I was
forced to temporarily abandon at 15 was never finished...if there is an ending.

From the messages I see posted on LUGNET, there is no question of age with
regards to LEGO. The first time you see "Aren't you a little old for LEGO?"
posted in a thread, you can bet there will be a flurry of responses in the
defiant negative. Our desire to build owes nothing to an
erroneously-imagined lack of maturity. We build because we want to push and
expand the limits of our creativity.

Peace,

Pat