 General / 27059
Re: Article from Tommorow ("Switchtrack") < Warning Speculative!!>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:59:44 GMT

Ahui Herrera wrote:

Hum... I trully trully trully hope this never happens.  Don't get me wrong I
the idea is great but I've already invested too much in 9V track and
switches to have to reinvest in more track again.

The cool thing is that if done right, you will still be able to use all
your track. Your existing turnouts will need to be manual, and you may
need to rig jumpers for some layouts to provide continuous power to the
whole layout, but everything else will be fine. In any case, your
straight and curved track will be perfectly useable.

The nifty thing about DCC type systems is that they use modulation to
carry a data signal on top of power on a two conductor system (which the
current track is).

The ONLY re-investment you will HAVE to make to use the automated stuff
is to replace your train motors in existing trains, and replace your
controllers with a base station and one or more throttle controls.

If you don't want to switch to the new system, you will just replace the
DCC capable train motor in the new sets with an old non-DCC one (or it
may have a switch to disable DCC mode).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com