 General / 26974
Re: Is my website legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 05:31:52 GMT

D. Jezek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Darrell King writes:
I am hoping to open my new website soon, but before I do I am hoping to try
and clear a few things with some of the more educated lugnet members
regarding The Lego Group and their legal standpoint on these types of sites.

What I hope to do is sell minifigs (no bricks or full sets). I plan to have
all types of minifigs for sale individually or in sets and also offer
customized minifigs for sale as well (or maybe just the modification kit).
Does anyone know what issues I should expect or if I am in reality trying to
do something completely illegal? I don't want to begin something that will
get me on the bad side of The Lego Group and others.

Please keep in mind, I already know not to use the Lego logo on my site or
use the title in a domain. With that being said, the rest is fuzzy to me.

I would like to hear some feedback on this as well.  Is there a problem with
dedicating a commercial site to the Lego product?  So far it looks like
there isn't, I haven't got any e-mails from TLC.  Can't be 100% sure because
there seems to be a problem with the Brickbay e-mail server just dropping
e-mails for some length of time each week.
Just now I wanted to reopen an incident with our webhost which was opened
couple months ago regarding this issue telling them it's still a problem but
they seem to have a problem with their problem-reporting software.

While TLC can influence what a retailer is allowed to do (they can say:
"We will only sell you product if you do this or that."), they really
can't influence what you do with LEGO you have purchased at retail (if
they sell you something with a "not for resale" condition, they may have
a leg to stand on). Now they can limit how you use their trademark (but
I doubt they can tell you that you can't say you're selling LEGO parts
if the parts you are selling are indeed LEGO - I'm not a lawyer, or even
very familiar with trademark law so I don't know how it applies in the
case of someone selling something). If Brickbay is in trouble with TLC,
eBay would be in the same trouble (though I guess if there was something
which really applied wrto trademark law, TLC could limit who could say
they have a place where individuals can sell LEGO).

FUT: lugnet.market.theory

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com