 General / 26637
Re: Microsoft and LEGO Company Announce a Shared Dream
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:54:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Geoff Gray writes:
All Right.  I have now read all of the "Oh My God, What is Lego Thinking"
and "Microsoft /Gates taking over the world" replies.  Now let's try a
little fact instead of gossip.  Look at the group that's working with
Lego... MSN.  Are they #1?  NO not by a long shot.  Ever heard of AOL?  MSN
is trying to compete against a company that now is larger than ever (thanks
to the merger OK'd by the feds).  What's wrong with that.  Second, why in
the world would Bill Gates want to make plastic bricks?  MS is not trying to
enter into the toy market.  Lastly, everyone thinks that Microsoft is trying
to take over the world because we buy so many smaller companies.  Any of you
ever look at General Electric's balance sheets?  They own a hell of a lot
more interests than we do.  It's the way any large corporation invests and
competes in this economy.

Please, people.  Try to think about things before going crazy with the hate
mail.  I don't expect everyone to like Microsoft, or agree with everything
the company does, but this joint venture looks to be a beneficial move for
both LEGO and the MSN side of Microsoft.  (And for the "lack of security"
reply I read, I can say easily that our products are very secure, and if
you'd like, I can send you many links that prove it.

Just my $0.02, and regardless of the flame mail I am bound to receive, I
still love Lego and LUGNET.

  I understand why you say this.  Someone had to say it sooner or later.  I
really doubt that many of those messages were posted completely seriously.
Maybe they should have beem posted to off-topic.fun?  Maybe we just all need
to make fun of Microsoft?  Really, I would not believe most of what you
read, although I personally find that the theory that Mindstorms will be
bought by MS to be plausible (MS incorporates Minstorms into Windows, sales
plummet, and MS buys the line from Lego at a highly discounted price).  It
might happen, but it is unlikely that it will.  Perhaps we need a completly
clean lugnet.humour for jokes, laughs, and other fun stuff (hint to Todd)?
And we need a lugnet.racers to serve as the complaint department to Lego
(that's serious)!