 General / 26587
Re: repairing lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 05:28:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
I intend to...  cut the clips off [a plain flag] and glue them onto the black
falcon flag.

What glue is good to use?

  This afternoon I successfully repaired an ancient grey 10x20 baseplate using
Ambroid ProWeld, retailing for about $2.00 at any hobby store.  It's a solvent
rather than a cement, so it must be used with caution to avoid affecting the
surrounding area of plastic.  It sets quickly and provides a good bond.
  Other choices include Jet Glue, as well as any cyanoacrylate solvent
(likewise available at any hobby store.) These can also damage plastic if not
applied carefully, and some can bond skin!
  For what you have in mind, I'd suggest mounting the clips on a 1/8" metal rod
(also, believe it or not, available at any hobby store!) and lining them up in
proper position.  Then hold the broken flag in place against one of them, and,
using the applicator brush in your solvent, apply just a tiny dot of solvent to
one flag:clip joint. Capillary action will spread the solvent through the
joint, and you'll just have to hold or clamp it in place until it dries (this
can take several minutes, but your patience will reward you by not requiring a
second attempt!)
  After the first clip is secure, repeat the process with the second. This one
should be easier, since the flag will hold itself in place by the first clip.
  No matter what glue, solvent, or method you choose, by all means do one clip
at a time!  Don't try to fix both in one shot, or you'll more than likely post
to ask how to separate glued LEGO!

   Let me know if you'd like any more info!

   Dave!
   (formerly a hobby store worker)