 General / 2610
Re: Profit dynamics of bulk purchases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:18:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, markt@lynx.bc.ca (Mark Tarrabain) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

[a lot of stuff, with which he disgreed with me in almost every regard]

Sorry :)

Todd, I think you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Ok.  No problem, no grudges.

I don't think that TLG would have any motivation to sell to individuals in
the bulk amounts that you are suggesting, but if you think otherwise, well,
hey... maybe I'm wrong.

No, I don't necessarily disagree with that...(and I probably don't want to
be making guesses as to what motivates TLG :)  My major disagreement was
with the assertion that it would be possible to regulate the pathways
through which bulk elements flowed from TLG to consumer -- that is,
believing that limiting sales to consumers/individuals would actually keep
the elements out of stores.  They certainly wouldn't show up in TRU and K-
Mart stores, but I believe they'd show up in various small toystores and
specialty shops.  It would just be too good of a thing not to happen as a
by-product.

Personally, I think that the best thing a LEGO club can offer us AFOL is
a chance to actually be heard.  TLG has been so busy focusing on sets for
people who don't want to use their imagination that they seem to have left
the more creative ones behind, particularly when it comes to the more
versatile universal building sets.  Regular contests that don't exclude
adults, organized swap-meets for people within a given geographical area,
and maybe having first dibs on the up-and-coming items before they actually
hit retail outlets would all be wonderful bonuses for being in a LEGO club.

That would be awesome.

What about a magazine showcasing MOC's in detail?

Bulk parts discounts would be cool
too, but I really don't think TLG would be motivated to do so in the types
of quantities that you describe.

:-(

I once bought 50 copies of the 62-piece gray brick so I could get lots of
2x4 gray bricks.  That was more work than I wanted to do and I still only
ended up with 700 2x4's.

--Todd