 General / 25869
Re: Which sets to buy? New to LEGO.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 00:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.general, Matt Thompson writes:
Hello everyone.  I've been lurking for about a month, trying to absorb
everything you all are writing about.  I'm 28, and just getting into LEGO.
I'm sure i had some as a kid, but nowhere as deep as most of you seem to be.
I quit smoking, and needed something to do with my hands while watching tv
and stuff, and someone suggested i try LEGO.  Well, I picked up a blue bin
and fell in love.  But now I have a problem.  I have a new addiction :).
But, since I'm on a budget, I can't just run out and but a bunch of
different sets, of buy 30 lbs of mixed pieces on ebay.  So i ask all of you,
which sets should i buy that will give me a lot of interesting parts and
colors to build my own creations.  I bought some of the power bins, but I'm
looking for some sets that will give me the biggest bang for my buck.  I
look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Matt

That really depends on which way you want to go with Lego.  You need to
think about which themes you like (such as Castle, Star Wars, Mindstorms,
Technic, etc), and go from there.  But, one really good piece of advice:
look for sales.  Clearance sales, holiday sales, yard sales, all of em.
Cheap lego is always a good thing!
HTH,
-Chris

Good themes currently available and a lower prices are Adventurers and Star
Wars, as for bang & buck deals.  Castle is good, but it has seen better bang
& buck in the past (though it is my personal fav).  CLEARANCE AND SALES
RECOMMENDED!  Early January and late August are the best times.  Watch the
Shop At Home specials listed here on Lugnet per week.
Best to you, it's a much more social addiction than you may realize!
Aaron