 General / 25782
Re: New S&H Catalog + Mania Stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:22:10 GMT

  I was reading all the comments about the contest.  Someone had a really
good idea (I forget your name, sorry) to decline the prize and give Lego
non-exclusive, no-royalty rights to the design.  Of course, they is probably
something against that in the fine print, but wait just a second.  Assuming
it isn't illegal, then it should be possible.  Think about it-probably 80%
of the top Train talent is on Lugnet.  If they all decide to take that
course of action, and "protest" Lego by winning the contest, one of two
things would happen.  #1, Lego is forced to cancel the contest before the
winners are announced.  This could create bad publicity for Lego management.
#2, Lego could reject all winners who take decide to decline the prize, and
be forced to accept the lower-quality designs to take the prizes.  That
would hurt them by showing that for whatever reason, Lego was unable to get
any good entries.
  On another note, why not attempt a "hostile takeover" (buisness term, not
literally) of Lego?  If enough young people on Lugnet (under twenty) decide
they want to work for Lego, maybe in 10 years Lego management will be run by
Lugnet members?  Or at least we could organize marches outside of Lego HQ
for better sets.  Oh, back to the reason for this post.
  Has anyone else noticed that at least twice recently Lego has done those
"Custom Creations (or whatever strange name Lego is calling it)" in the
Mania Magazine AND THEY ARE THE MODELS SHOWN ON THE BACK OF SET BOXES!  They
claim that "this model, made by "Bob Jones", influenced out designers to
build this model shown here."  Wait a second, that model, that was
supposedly influenced by some kid in the last 102 months, was actually shown
on the back of the Granite Grinder, released 8 months ago.  That's just to
much of a coincidence.  I remember a time when Lego didn't make false
claims.  Has anyone else noticed this, and was it the subject of previous posts?