 General / 2478
Re: Reissue Solution: Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:28:18 GMT

Simon Robinson wrote:

There are also way sto tell some of the older parts from the
newer ones such as
the the 1xN plates.

Is that relevant for selling old sets? How many of the sets on
auction really have the original pieces - as opposed to the
bricks having been mixed with bricks from other sets, and the
seller has then picked out the appropriate kind of brick?

Besides if I buy an old set, I buy it because I really like
that set or because it's got useful pieces in it. I'm not
bothered about how old the individual pieces are.

<snip>

If the set were old enough, it might make a difference if you were
talking Cellulose Acetate versus ABS plastic.  I bought a set #717
(Junior Constructor) from circa 1963 on EBAY recently.  I was surprised
to find that besides the pieces all being in perfect condition (no wear,
probably assembled model only once), they were all cellulose acetate
bricks, which made the briicks have a slightly different color, and gave
them a "new car" type smell.  None of the new ABS bricks have this type
of nice smell to them that the old Cellulose Acetate bricks did.

So in some 1960's instances, it does make a difference.

Also, I can pretty much tell if a set has been reassembled versus
original parts.  Especially for any sets circa 1958-80.  Some pieces
have changed over the years, the 1x1 rounds for example (they have 3
different versions).  And then there is the font of the LEGO stamped on
top of the bricks.  Some of the earlier ones are way different from
today.  And then there are other subtle differences - such as to where
the location of the LEGO "umbilical cord" was located (on one of the
studs or on the side of the brick).

There are probably not a lot of people that are going to care about
this, but I know that if it's a 60's set, then it can make a difference.

Gary Istok