 General / 24607
Re: Lego is from Venus, AFOL are from Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson writes:
If you've read the book, you know there's hope, but both LEGO and AFOL has to
adapt...

The customer is always right!

That's the point of market research -- to discover what products and at what
price point a consumer is willing to patronize the products of the
interested company.  If anything, TLC's research is erroneously skewed at a
young audience which does not represent the totality of it's ACTUAL consumer
base -- at least in my opinion.

Dog's would love to eat a can of pure salted fat, cat's would prefer to eat
a can of lightly minced rat parts -- is this what you see in the store in
the pet food aisle?  No, you don't.  Why?  Because human adults control the
purse strings of these purchases.  Consequently, the pet food companies
market towards the sorts of things a human adult would like for their dog or
cat (sliced quasi-meat with gravy!).

I note that adult parents hold the purse strings of the purchases made by,
and for, Lego's "supposed" target audience.  You connect the dots.

And BTW, I was in a train hobby store the other day -- guess what I didn't
see there...

-- Richard