 General / 24390
Re: LEGO Packaging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Jon Kozan writes:

An interesting topic is the LEGO boxes themselves... • (snippage of Jon's comprehensive summary...)

FINALLY:
------------
My best note on packaging is LEGO's continuing habit of "hiding" parts.
On nearly every set's packaging that I've looked at, the alternative and
standard models scenes on the outside of the boxes will go out of their way >>to hide certain parts from view.
You have to buy the set to know what parts are inside.
These hidden parts are typically the rarer parts too!

Jon, do you have some current examples of this practice ?
You have me interested in checking this out.
Wouldn't the highlighting of these parts be a sales enhancer. Are parents or
children (the major purchasers) really aware of what a rare part is ?

I can't explain why this is the case, just perhaps the model guys know what
piece people may be looking for and hide the parts intentionally.

Short of searching my parts database, I typically notice this when I'm
inventorying a set.  Afterwards I'm too busy to remember it for long, and I
don't keep many outer boxes.

Off the top of my head, though, are the following.
Remember that these parts were rare when the set was released and for some
time thereafter, but some aren't very rare anymore.

6496 - Contains a 1x4x3 blue train window - not easily visible in any of the
box art.

8280 - has 2 white inverse-corner slopes - not on the boxes anywhere.  When
the Virgina LEGO outlet was selling this set, I mentioned this to Buffy, who
promptly tried to market the set with this as a selling point.

6045 - a small set where parts are hard to hide, but the 2 Black 4x3 low
slopes are very unobtrusive

6033 - the white 1x2 tile with top stud is nowhere to be found on the box art

3408 - has 2 1x2x3 train windows - very unobtrusively used

6417 - a 1x1 gray cone, covered up in each picture

5936 - the 2 1x4 red arches since they're only displayed end-on, they're
invisible

Anyone else have some examples?

-Jon