 General / 24024
Re: Another LEGO encounter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:18:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Campbell writes:

It seems that LEGO is about the
only brand/character apparel that people feel comfortable commenting on
(to me anyway)

I think there's an inverse proportion to how mainstream-popular something is
and how often it'll get comments.  In other words, if you're wearing a branded
item for something that isn't very mainstream-popular, when someone who is a
fan of that thing sees you, they're more likely to say something.

Example:  I'm a fan of a (now defunct) Irish band called the Pogues.  I was
lucky enough to see them in concert a couple of times, and I have a couple of
shirts.  They aren't an extremely popular band by almost any market segment.
And yet, when I wear the shirts, I get a comment out of it roughly every other
time I wear them.  Mostly, people who say something just want to acknowledge
that they are a fan, too.

If I were wearing a shirt from a more popular band, people don't feel as
compelled to say something because it's not as odd to see a person wearing a
Pearl Jam shirt.
\
eric