 General / 23853
23852  |  23854
Subject:
New LEGO Parts for AFOLs.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:17:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear LEGO Direct,

Previously I made a request for some new LEGO Architectural elements
that can be used by the Town and Train Systems (or any other systems
that can find it useful).  After viewing some of the nice pieces used in
the Belville System, I have some new ideas (as well as a rehash of some
old ones)::

1) Macaroni (2x2 quarter circle) and 4x4 quarter circle bricks, without
the missing notch of plastic (that allows you to attach these pieces to
a baseplate).

Back in 1956-57 LEGO produced both the quarter circle and half circle
bricks with and without the missing notch of plastic (on the outside
curve).  Then in 1958 you stopped all but the current quarter circle
brick.  Please reintroduce the quarter circle brick without this missing
plastic (in addition to the existing piece).  When I see buildings with
these pieces, the gaps in the bricks are rather unsightly.  Just look at
the LEGO Model Builders model of the Jefferson Memorial.  The columns,
made exclusively of these pieces, look like Termites infected them.

The 4x4 quarter circle bricks (produced since the 1990's) also suffer
from this problem.  Please make some of these with and without the
missing notches (each piece has two of these).

2) Decorative capitals to pillars.  The 2x2 round bricks make great
columns.  But it would be nice to have Classic style column tops, such
as Doric, Ionic and Corinthian tops.  These could be the size of a 2x2
regular brick, but sculped down to make a fancy column top.  Other types
could be Egyptian or Oriental type tops.

3) Rusticated Bricks.  Currently the only "rusticated" brick that TLC
makes (as far as I can tell) is the 1x1 round brick.  When these are
stacked together, they do give a nice rusticated look.  It would be nice
to have regular bricks that have this same identical indentation on the
bottom (so that 1/3 of the brick is indented slightly).  You could have
the same types of pieces as are found in sloped bricks, i.e. 1x2, 2x2,
3x2, and 4x2 bricks rusticated on one side, as well as 2x2 inside and
2x2 outside corner rusticated bricks to handle those corners.  It would
be great to have these in white, tan, and gray, so that AFOLs can make
classic style buildings with some of the finer details.

4)  Gothic Arches.  Right now you have 1x3, 1x4, 2x4, 1x6, 2x6, 2x8, 4x5
(half) and 12x3 (stairstep) rounded arches of the Romanesque/Classic
style.  It would be great to have some Gothic pointed arches, say the
2x4, 2x6, and 2x8 variety.

Belville has an arch that is absolutely beautiful (the 2x6x5) "Victorian
Gingerbread" style arch, so some other fancy arches also would be
appreciated.

5)  Some new low and steep slope bricks.  Such as low slope 3x3 inside
corner bricks, 1x2 low slope half pyramid peaks, and 2x2x3 steep slope
inside corner bricks.  These would allow for greater creativity in
building historic style structures.

5) Some new window types.  When we in the AFOL community try to build a
model of our own homes, the window selection today is inadequate to do
so.  We could use some new windows that reflect these styles.  A
re-introduction of the small classic windows (1x1x1, 1x2x1, 1x1x2) would
be one step in this direction.  Another option is to reintroduce the
1x3x2 classic window, but in 2 new styles, one is the vertical 2 pane,
the other is the horizontal 2 pane window.

Another window style that would be great is the multipaned windows that
LEGO used in the MINITALIA windows back in the 70's.  These window types
are of the "12 over 12" or "6 over 6" sash window varieties that are
common to colonial
American windows, as well as mullioned European windows.

The results of building with these type of architectural LEGO elements
could be quite stunning.  You could even produce an architectural set
that contains these elements, or provide them in bulk.

Thank you,
Gary Istok

"In the beginning there was Town......."