 General / 23633
23632  |  23634
Subject:
Help with part ? from 540, also FOTW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:45:28 GMT

I found a pristine, 100% complete 570 (fire station, flag stickers were
unapplied except the American flag which is on the flag), 540 (Swiss villa)
and 386 (basic set) at a garage sale this weekend. The boxes and pieces
looked like I just bought the set from TRU and they even had the original
stickers and catalogs.

Now my question is, with the sets in this condition, the 540 shows the old
"funky" tree on the box, however the set came with a large pine tree. I
can't believe that this is not the way the set came originally. The pine
tree is made with a different plastic and the tree is very "stiff" compared
to the pine trees we get today.

The bricks were very different in 1973 and the plates and tiles are hard to
release from the studs. One way to tell the old bricks from the current ones
are the mold marks. The old bricks have them on the sides of the bricks and
the new ones have them on one of the studs. Some pieces also have text in
the mold stating that the patent is pending (i.e. the 2x4 clear slope).

Mixed in with the basic set were a complete 420 (police car) and 460 (rescue
units). The 420 contained a 1x1 tile that is thicker than the tiles that we
have today. When did Lego start to make 1x1 tiles and plates?

I never cared for these sets very much, however, finding an old set in this
condition allows you to really see the difference in the way the bricks were
made in the early 70's.

Rose