 General / 23317
Re: Very old Classic Windows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:37:03 GMT

Manuel,

The windows you are talking about came out around 1955 or 1956 (which is the date
of the catalog you have described).  The catalog probably also probably has the old
LEGO Gnome (small man in red overalls and white shirt) shown in it.  This period
was a time of evolution for LEGO.  The older (early 50's windows) were the ones
that fit into the slots in the sides of the bricks.  These were available in many
different colors (red, white, yellow, green).  Then in the mid-50's LEGO started
making new windows that fit into the studs on the bricks.  There were a lot of
different ones that were made, but by 1957, these 12-15 different ones became the 9
windows/1 door variety that we know has the Classic Windows.  This 1955-56 period
also had some other strange pieces, such as 2x12 and 2x14 bricks, 1/2 circle bricks
(2 macaroni bricks put together), red garage base plates, etc.

I don't have a complete list of these windows, just as I don't have for the earlier
ones with the slots in the side.  The 1230 number you gave for a parts pack
corresponds to the early Danish Parts pack numbers from circa 1956.  I have a 1223
and a 1227 parts pack from that era.  the 700b and 700c are probably an earlier
number.  The "700" number is probably the most commonly used number in the 50's.
There were many "700" sets (700/0, 700/1, 700/2, 700/3, 700/3a, 700/4, 700/5,
700/6, 700/K).  And the old 10x20 thick baseplates from that era are 700e.  So
700/b and 700/c are the numbers for the earlier window parts pack.

When I get more time, I will be investigating these "proto-LEGO" windows (before
1958 - which was the start of the binding bricks with tubes on the bottom).

Gary Istok

Manuel Cueto wrote:

I have a question, maybe is a silly one.

Gary in his history of clasic windows described 10 of them. The ones we can
see in the catalogs form the sixties and ending of the fifties. I saw a time
ago a door bigger than the classic door. Four rows tall. In yellow. It was in
a lot of doors and old windows. (Also the lot have the very old windows and
doors, the ones that need the brick to obtain support). Sorry that
description, but my spoken languje is spanish.

Well that day I thought I found something new, but today I receive the oldest
catalog that I ever see. Is in danish and have 13 different windows and doors
(And if we add the tiny windows we have 16 in total).

Also I remeber A Gary´s question about along brick.......2x14.....well this
tiny catalog have it in red( well the catalog is white and red).

The references of the windows are 1230 for the standard classic (7 W & D)and
700c (5 W and 1 D) for the tall classic. 700B for the very old windows and door
(one door and 3 windows).

Ok this is just what I found.

regards from Colombia

Manuel