 General / 22033
22032  |  22034
Subject:
Old tree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:18:46 GMT

Check out this old Lego tree:

http://plaza.powersurfr.com/acme/pix/oldtree.jpg

I know it was found in sets like the 349 Swiss Chalet and
the 350 Spanish Villa.  I'm sure it was included in a
few other sets as well.

What I'm curious about are the tiny green cubes that form the
'leaves'.  It appears that the brown trunk with branches was
dipped into glue and then into a vat of the cubes.
This raises a few questions:

1.  Could the cubes be the raw form that ABS was in before it
was molded into bricks?  Is a similar process used today?

2.  The cubes on this tree are not very regular in shape,
so were they by-products of production?

3.  Was the brown trunk the first appearance of the color?
(It's a bit lighter than modern brown).

4.  Was glue ever used so prominently in any other part?

--
John
(remove the obvious to reply)