 General / 21972
Re: The Big Chicken Lives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:30:06 GMT

Thanks John, I was thinking about taking it outside and doing just that. But
first I'm debating on whether I should make up some KFC decals to go on the
side of it. Most people around here know what it is with out the decals, but
it just seems to be missing. I'll have to sleep on it some.

jt

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

"In 1963, the owner of a drive-in greasy spoon hatched a big idea. St. Louis
could have its arch; New York could keep its Lady Liberty-what Marietta
needed was a chicken. And thus Tubby Davis, owner of Johnny Reb's
Restaurant, and an egghead Georgia Tech engineering student built the
world's first and only post-modern cubist steel chicken. Built with
locally-milled bars and plates from Atlantic Steel, the 50-foot Big Chicken
is still the most recognizable landmark in North Atlanta." (1)

In an on going effort to create more regional landmarks for my train layout
I have added the Marietta, Georgia BIG CHICKEN.

Awesome work, James!  That is *exactly* what I like to see-- regional clubs
exhibiting regional stuff!  It is things like that which make particular train
layouts memorable and unique.  Hey, let's see some pics taken outside from the
same camera angle as the ones from the original-- that would be kewl!

-John

You can see some pictures of the chic at:

The eyes do roll and the beak opens and closes, all power by a 9v micro
motor for nice slow even movement.

jt

(1) taken from an article written by Justin Williams for
Atlanta.citysearch.com
http://atlanta.citysearch.com/E/V/ATLGA/0011/16/82/

--
James J. Trobaugh