 General / 21484
Re: Arctic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:17:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
I think Arctic doesn't get discussed much because while the sets themselves
are pretty good, the theme is somewhat limited in scope. I somewhat disagree
that they are over juniorized. True, the vehicles don't have doors, but none
of the three large vehicles use a pre-fab chassis.
Actually, the vehicle in the Polar Base set does appear to have doors, although
the length of the windsheild would make them impossible to use. :(

The wall sections are real
neat, and could not easily be duplicated by bricks. They also lend a realistic
pre-fab feel. Some might think the 1x8x5 slopes are juniorized, but I actually
like them the way they are used. They provide a smooth, unbroken slope (I also
like them in the coastal rescue set where they seemed to have been used first
- in fact, they may even look better there). The one disadvantage I see with
those slopes is that they don't match the slope of any of the slope bricks
(this is also a problem with the Ninja wall sections, which are yet a
different slope). I would say that these sets are less juniorized that current
Town sets. I think they have good potential as parts sets (and once they start
showing up on clearance, I'd watch for some large space bases using the wall
sections). Arctic might actually have done better as an Adventurers sub-theme
than as a Townish theme.
That would be good, then it would be like the race to be the first person in
the Arctic, and not some weird invertebrate paleontology quest that nobody
fully understands.

Frank