 General / 21144
Re: Adding USB ports?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andy Lynch wrote:

Hehehe... I HAVE to add on to this.

Scott is quite right.  I have a PC that I had a small local company build
for me a couple of years ago.  I looked all over it and could not find any
USB ports on it, so I was looking into getting a PCI card with USB ports.
Turns out my machine is using all of its PCI slots, so I was stuck.

I opened up my machine for about the third time to examine my options, when
I noticed a small silver box on the back of the motherboard, right against
the back of the case.  I looked on the back of the case, and for the first
time noticed that there was a metal punchout on the case that was still in
place.  It just happened to be in the shape of a square, so I punched it
out, and.... Voila!  2 USB ports. :-)

:)

I had that experience with a car stereo, once.  I got an econo-box without
a radio.  Just for the heck of it, I checked behind the speaker grilles,
and *amazing*, there were speakers installed.  They were even wired. :)
One cheap radio later, I was cruising to tunes. :):)

My guess is, the percentage of cars sold without a radio is so small, they
didn't bother the production line with details like "skip the speakers on
this one!"

Steve