 General / 21138
Re: Adding USB ports?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
Is it possible/economical to have USB ports installed?  Or is there a PCI
card that has USB ports on it?

No and yes -- but that may have nothing to do with it. I sure wouldn't pay
anyone to do these things, it's way too easy to just do it yourself.

You would do best to check to see exactly what kind of motherboard you have
and then establish whether the manufacturer might even make USB ports as an
add-on (probably for $10-15 USD).  I have an old AT form Asus P5A-B (a
dinosaur now) and that was the case with it -- although it took another trip
to the 'puter parts store to score the USB ports.  If you install the ports,
be sure and enable the USB ports in CMOS if its necessary to do so.  Otherwise
your OS (Win 98 for example) may not recognize the hardware as having been
added in.

As others have stated, you could certainly get PCI and probably even ISA cards
with ports on them if you need to go that route.

If you want to do the hardware work yourself, you may wish to wear an
antistatic wrist strap.  I can never quite decide if the things work or not,
and many people do not even bother with them.  I know I have seen numerous
store people manhandle RAM cards I am about to purchase with no apparent ill
effect evident after the fact.  Then again, I think I fried an Adaptec SCSI
card this last weekend for failure to wear the strap (::grumble, grumble::).

Ugh...who knows?

-- Richard