 General / 20821
Re: The JRFOLS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 22:12:42 GMT

"Jonathan McKay" <vebble2669@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Fysxz3.BD0@lugnet.com...
The above was Ian was talking about whether TLC's plan to try and create • an
online community for kids was a good idea.  *I* think it would be better • for
kids to congregate under the auspices of TLC than in LUGNET.

Unfoutunately there is no place like that that I know of.

Why should there be any other place?  Lugnet is fullfilling the role it was
designed for, for all applicable ages.

That was my quotation:-)  Jonathan, merely because you are into LEGO is • no
qualification for participation in LUGNET.  Speaking as a parent, I see
absolutely no compelling reason why a 9 year old should be reading or • posting
to LUGNET NGs.  And besides, if a lot of 10 year olds suddenly began • posting
in a particular NG, I bet you would find that a lot of adults who • normally
hung out in those NGs would go elsewhere.  And in general, if a large • influx
of kids hit LUGNET, adult participation would drop IMO.  It's nothing • against
10 year olds--it's about adults wanting to hang with adults.

where else will I go? for local collectors there's no one else on my level
(that I know or have met)

lugnet is not "alugnet" for adults only, its lugnet, and I don't see any
messages about adults only. It says *in the name* LEGO USERS group. that • is my
qualification right there.

That's exactly the truth.  Some opinions on the age issue offend, and even
go so far as to hurt me.  I've said it and I'll say it again - Lugnet and
the AFOL community has been a key part of my personal growth during my high
school years.  If I were not allowed to participate as some views in this
group show, where would I be now?  I certainly would not have had some of
the opportunities which have already been presented to me at such a young
age.

I commend kids who particpate in Lugnet and fit in.  I think immediately of
Alex Kaiser and Aaron Bergman, who have poured a lot of their time into web
projects (Kidlug) (like I did at their age) and haven't gotten a tremendous
positive response.  Is this because of their age?  Is this because of their
work?  Probably a little of both.  But I know if they keep at it their work
will improve dramatically, and they will also mature to become considered on
equal status with you adults.  So don't stifle people like that by
discluding them, its not promoting any sense of community, nor any sense of
the Lego hobby whatsoever.

Ironic, the reason for their web project is because they were discluded from
a LUG.

Dunno-- how old are you?

12

I don't want to come across as hostile, just keep that in mind.

-Jonathan

I know you don't - I'm definitely on your side.  Hopefully others will see
just how many people in Lugnet are 'kids' (the thread in .faq the other day)
and maybe hopefully someone coming out and declaring they're 13 might just
knock someone off their chair.

As Todd said in his reply to your post, Lugnet never was intended for just
adults.  Quite frankly, its Todd's site.  He can do with it what he wants.
And I commend him for including people who are under X age.  I also think
that his policies should be respected by members of the community.

--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne