 General / 20820
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:31:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.general, Stefan Eilert writes:
was LEGO System ever 'in scale'? • <snip>
Buildings, cars, planes and all the other LEGO System stuff are simply
toys.

Let me go one step further... in fact, I just had this conversation with a
camp-fella who was checking out my site and asked if I try to make it look as
realistic as possible, or to maintain the lego feel... and I answered that, at
least for me, I like to have that non-realistic, lego-look. It gives one more
freedom to do whatever they want, and not always having to be perfect.

Of course, opinions differ across the board, train fans for example might
disagree; but as a *fantasy*, castle-themed stuff fan, I like my MOCs to
maintain a unique lego feel to them, yes.

Too true, and I fully agree, but the difference here is that they are
fulfilling a license of existing models, and if they choose to call a set an
Star Wars A-wing fighter, it should at least be the right shape & colors.

Don't get me wrong... I think that many of the LEGO SW sets are excellent in
their portrayal of the film vehicles in a very satisfying, play-oriented way.
Example: the X-wing, the Y-wing & TIE fighter, the speeder bikes, the
landpeeder, the Trade Federation Tank, the MTT, and on and on... But the A-wing
is a terribly adaptation of the movie ship, even given the constraints they
were under, and IMHO, they could have done MUCH better with the Slave 1, too.

--Karim