 General / 20595
Re: BIG update on Bardiel website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:01:46 GMT

Have you read the Hyperion series of books by Dan Simmons?  There are elements
of your story in the series (ie the Church being a powerful force in the
galaxy, the nature of man).  There's also a lot more, too much to go into
here.  Anyway they are a really good read.

Jason

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
Joel Kuester <septenemae@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Like I said, it's probably just a difference in design taste... it • actually
looks quite amazing in the whole ship pictures.  The only time some of the
detail sticks out as odd to me is a couple of the close-up pictures.  It
definately looks cluttered in a pretty realistic/patchy way.  Kinda like • the
wayward love-child of the Millenium Falcon and Babylon 5  :)

actually, if it is explained on your page... I missed it: what does the • name
mean?  It sounds familiar, but can't remember what it may mean.  Is it a
medievel weaponry term?

      Unfortunatly not much is explained on my page at all right now but in
the future I'll have a lot of text. The name is from a heirarchy of angels
from kabalism. Kind of like really early Judaism. Its pronounced kind of
like "Gabriel". Bardiel is supposedly the angel of lightning.

well, I have to be honest and say that now that I have seen your ship in a
more completed form I HAVE to build another ship.  Mine looks pretty lame • next
to yours.  Not that I build out of a competitave spirit against other • people,
but I have a lot more time, space, and parts from when I originally built • the
Elegance... and your ship really inspires me to work to my fullest • potential.

would a ship that large be able to feasibly enter an atmosphere?

You know thats just it. My ship is actually not that long if 1 stud= 1 foot.
Its around the size of the Blockade Runner from Star Wars....maybe even a
little smaller....Actually I think its right at the size of the Republic
Cruiser at the beginning of the Phantom Menace. I figure it can make
planetfall. I need to make landing skids though. Oh yeah I believe its also
around the size of the transports from Empire Strikes Back.

Actually,
this brings up the whole question of what kind of tech level you built • this
at.  I would be interested to know if you have a backstory or anything • plot-
wise about the universe this ship is from.

Well as far as tech goes, its faster than light...obviously has artificial
gravity...I can't decide how maneuverable it will be at sub light... It will
have weapons..That just skims the surface. As for story I'm gonna quote
myself from an earlier post:

       Ok heres my ship's story-- very summarized:  There was once a huge
church/ theocracy which arose at the point when a certain civilization (its
earth in my head but it doesn't HAVE to be) began to finally reach out into
the stars. The church was initially formed as part of a movement to preserve
the notion of the civilization's life forms travelling in space as living
beings; instead of there essences stored in data on unmanned vessels and
delivered to distant  worlds via computers, robots and Von neumann machines,
which would "bring them to life/ regenerate them" when they got there. Later
the church ( which of course borrowed many of its ideals from previous
religions ) grew to a huge empire with a fleet of massive ship/churches
designed to "enlighten" worlds that did not see the theocracy's views (which
were of course not so noble at that point). My ship, which is one of the
smallest of these ships, is later found through mysterious circumstances
long  after the empire has faded away. La la la .. theres more but I won't
torture you. Its heavily inspired by Asimov, the Dune books, Star wars,
Frank J. Tipler and the Catholic church.

   Thats sort of it...I still don't know if the ship is found by smugglars
or by pirates or by salvagers maybe.... I do know that its very old and that
its one of the smallest from the church's original fleet.

-Jon

Interesting... I wish I could work like this.  I tend to go weeks without
building anything, and then when I get an idea I work for whole days or • for
any available spare time to finish it.  After completing a large project I
don't feel burned-out on Lego per se, just whatever theme I was building • in.
IE after finishing my Millenium Falcon, I didn't do any space for a month • or
so, and after finishing Port Feyr, I didn't do any castle for months. • etc...
I want to learn how to pace myself better, its just too hard to control my
exuberence when I am truly inspired to only work a little each day.

can't wait to see your ship done...

cheers!
Joel K