 General / 20568
Re: Kids say the strangest things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:27:34 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mario Ferrari writes:
Deidre Rushton Brumby <drb@tasmail.com> wrote:
"But Mum! You'll be too old for Lego at Christmas!!"

:-)

I sure hope he's wrong!

Sure he is! I don't know and don't want to ask for your age, but I turned 40
recently and received a 8862 Backhoe Grader from my brother Giulio. I did
feel as happy as when I received Lego being ten or twelve. Not only because
it's a great set I desired a lot, but mainly because it was Lego and not a
sweater, a tie or other stuff people as old as me are expected to receive
for their birthday.
<snipped>

I'm 28, about mid-range for lugnetters from what I've seen.  I've been
following the thread "when does it become embarrassing to buy lego" and
when my little boy came out with that statement I completely lost it,
laughed for ages, as did my husband.  I don't have to worry about what
shop assistants think, seems I have to worry about what my own kid
thinks! :)

On the topic of shop assistants, I'm usually shopping for Lego with my
son in tow and they invariably say to him "is all this for you?", one
day he said "No, it's Mum's, but she'll let me play with it if I'm good".
Said shop assistant didn't know how to respond to that one, just clammed
up completely with an unusual look on her face.

I usually admit that's it's mine (or ours) and that I love Lego every bit
as much as my son does, most shop assistants think that's wonderful and
some interesting conversations ensue.  On my weekend shopping trip the
male cashier, probably around 17 or so, was telling me all about how he
wanted a big pirate ship as a kid but only ever got the little sets and he
wanted to know whether Lego still made them so he could buy one for himself.

PS Deidre I didn't miss the fact this is x-posted to .au, you know what I
mean, but I don't care at all :-)

As a show of goodwill I'll remove the Xpost, just to make you and your
comrades happy :)

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com