 General / 20095
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:35:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Scott said:
I definately think a mold change is a bigger deal than a color change.

Interesting. Where was this discussion leading, how TLC can improve its
processes to make cheaper bulk prices? I don't think they will get much
lower, a little maybe, but not to what most people were expecting.

No, nothing that grand, The discussion was just around the minor point of:
which has a lower cost if you go all out to reduce costs, changing a color or
changing a mold. I stick to my assertion that in ultra high volume plants that
have decided to really focus on reducing the downtime around a mold change,
changing a mold is less expensive than a color change.

That was all, just that minor point. I think if I remember correctly that it
grew out of some rather unfounded assertions (not by you) about the actual
cost to TLC of making stuff and of selling it. Said assertions have at this
point been pretty thoroughly debunked. IMHO.

I will say that TLC, *can* if it chooses to, lower prices by reducing the
fulfillment cost, but they need to impose a lot larger volume requirements to
have a hope of doing that. Right now their bulk pricing is in line with the
service pack pricing, essentially, or in some cases a little higher, even.

I want to buy a K8 of all the same part, right from the molding machine, and
I'll take some sprues slipping in by mistake and some small proportion of
misformed pieces, if I can pay significantly less per piece.

++Lar