 General / 19935
Re: New website layout, what you think?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:39:31 GMT

Patrick Justison wrote:
I'll also list some hard link text below
so that those too impatient for the page download can use those.

Cool!

The current
front page (including all of the images) is 82.5KB.  I was hoping to get it
down to about 60KB or so.  What do you think?

Well to be honest, I'm running through a T1 line, so I'm not an effective
judge of download times.  Perhaps when I get my 33.6 hooked up at home
again...

Personally, I don't mind waiting for a 83K page over the modem.  (In fact, I
usually load many pages simultaneously, a slow task over 33.6, so I don't
worrk about speed very often.)  Is there some general consensus about what a
decent-sized Web page should be?

I'm not sure total page size (HTML + graphics) is a good indicator anyway;
I've started to notice that much more time can be taken up in the new
connection lag than in the actual image download, esp. over a modem.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Uh, two.  Including this one.